Wednesday, January 23, 2008

To the American People

Today I come before the American people to make a promise to them about my future. I believe that it is pretty clear to me, that my path in life will probably be one of a political nature. Therefore, I have come here today to make a promise before anything could be written or said about my intentions as a politician. I promise here, that my commitment will always be with the people of this country. That I will not be bought or bossed. I will not be indentured to special interests, or political action committees. I will not take money from lobbyists or corporations. I will be committed to the people that matter: our American family.

I have been given the best this country has to offer, a great life, great schools, and a great family. I have been privileged and blessed to have the opportunities that I have had. I promise to use these opportunities for good. I want to go to work for the people left behind by government, working families, the poor, and all others that have been snubbed by a greedy and corruption political machine. I hate the fact that 37 million Americans are impoverished and 150,000 veterans are homeless. I hate the fact that there are 47 million Americans, 9 million children, do not have healthcare. I hate the fact that the gap between rich and poor, black and white, male and female, young and old, has been far too big. I will work my entire life to bridge that gap. There are people out their that are suffering. It is my responsibility, in my mind, as a patriot, to stand for these people and to fight for them until the day I die.

Maybe, it seems to early to some, for me to be making a statement of commitment at such an early age. I might be 17, but watching this election, and going around, up and down the state of Delaware, and meeting the people who have been left behind, I have become acutely aware, that there are too many people in government that have a blurred commitment to anything if at all. Too many take money from special interests, PACs, and corporations. Too many do not stand up for poor people, for working people. We have created a system where money speaks, and those with the most money speak the loudest. We have not lived up to the goal set by our founding fathers, to create and maintain a government, of the people, by the people, and for ALL the people. We have lost our way as a country, and it is time for us, together, to find the path.

We must write the last chapter in the book on discrimination. We must find a solution to our healthcare crisis, and our poverty crisis. We must make education work for all children, by investing in public schools, and making a commitment to send more kids to college this year, then any year before it. We must fight to find a cure to the diseases that are killing our world's people. We must fight to keep and create jobs, and to send Americans back to work, that are victims of unfair economic policies. We must fight to create and sustain peace in the world. We must keep America strong and safe. We must finally give the benefits to veterans that they deserve, and that are long overdue. We must fight to save our environment and be good stewards of our earth. We must work together and transcend the political divide and get things done. We must make America work for all people. We must make government work for people again. It is time, that we, as one people, stand up and fight for the future of this great nation. We must fight to level the playing field for all people and to stand together as one big American family again. It is our time. If you give me the chance to lead, I promise, I will not let you down.

-Read T. Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home